Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Fried Dill Pickles

The first time I ever heard about Deep Fried Dill Pickles was when I was in high school and living with the South's. David had been building domes in Athens, Georgia and discovered this Southern specialty. He managed to get a hold of a recipe and we sold them at the big Menan, Idaho 4th of July celebration. They were a huge hit, but I pretty much forgot about them.

Several years later I was reading A Time to Kill by John Grisham. The main character Jake, takes his Yankee paralegal to a quaint little bar-b-que joint and orders a batch of these. She is dubious and makes some crack about Southerners frying everything. as I read I remembered how delicious they were.

A few months ago I walked into a local bar-b-que place, Lon's Cookin Shack, that has the best pulled pork in the world. Lon's is also famous for their deep fried cauliflower. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the deep fried dill pickles had been added to the menu and ordered them, they were as great as I remembered them.

I found a recipe for deep fried broccoli, didn't care for it with broccoli or cauliflower but with dill pickles it is so yummy and my family chows down faster than I can cook them.


Fried Dill Pickles
Ingredients:
1 large egg
1 cup club soda
2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
salt
pepper
cayenne pepper
dill pickle slices
Directions:
In a mixing bowl beat the egg well.
Whisk in the club soda
Stir in the flour, cornstarch and seasonings to taste.
Stir until smooth
Drain the pickles from the pickle brine and add to the batter.
Remove pickles, a few at a time from the batter and allow to drip off a bit.
Add to 350 degree oil and fry about 3 minutes.
Serve hot. Yum!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tips and Hints
  • Try adding the pickles to the oil one or two at a time so they don't clump together.

  • I recommend the crinkled hamburger dill chips because they seem to hold the batter better.

  • Great served with bar-b-que such as Pepsi Chicken Sandwiches or pulled pork.

  • Seltzer water can be used in place of the club soda.

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I have never fried pickles even though Dad did it! What a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, he did fry them and all us kids sold them. Probably the most excitement in Menan for years!

    If you could figure out some way to substitute the flour and make these gluten free you should fry up a batch and surprise him. I bet he'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! He'd be so happy. I think I will try it :). I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete