Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pepsi Chicken Sandwiches

When I was in high school I lived with my cousins, the South family. Nanette is the same age as I and we were/are cousins, sisters and best friends. She is an amazing woman and also has a great cooking blog, A Cooking Legacy. In search of an easy meal I decided to try her Pepsi Chicken recipe. I was a bit hesitant since I am not a huge Pepsi fan and detest ketchup, but I trusted her that it was good and tried it. I tweaked it a bit to make sandwiches. We were not disappointed, it is delicious.



Pepsi Chicken Sandwiches

Ingredients:
5 chicken breasts
1 small bottle ketchup (14 ounces)
14 ounces Pepsi
garlic salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Place chicken in a 9x13 baking dish.
Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
Mix ketchup and Pepsi together, until well blended and ketchup looks dark and smooth.
Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
Remove from oven, take chicken out of sauce allow to cool a few minutes until you can handle it.
Shred the chicken and replace into the baking dish. Stir chicken back into sauce.
It seems like the sauce is way too plentiful and runny, but the chicken will absorb it.
Return to oven and cook about 15 more minutes so the shredded chicken can soak up the sauce and the flavor.
Serve hot in your favorite bun or just eat it alone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tips and Hints
  • This also works great in a crock pot.   Throw everything in and set to low for about 5-6 hours, remove chicken breasts, shred and place back in the crock pot another 1-2 hours. 
  • Tip to shred chicken quickly and easily.   Put the cooked breasts in a Kitchen Aid (or other stand mixer), using the paddle attachment turn on lowest speed until shredded about 1 -2 minutes 
  • I poured some of the Pepsi into the ketchup bottle to help rinse it out
  • This recipe works just great with caffeine free Pepsi too

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I'll have to make sandwiches next time. You are so awesome :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are awesome! Thanks for sharing the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete